Historical Stone Bridge
This arched, stone bridge dates from 1905 and formed an important link in the first road between Hjelmeland and Ardal. It represents the typical design of the period. The construction of such bridges followed a Standard method with wooden scaffolding being built first, then the piers and finally the arches.
The principle was that the pressure should be transferred through the stone and down into the foundations. A capstone was used to lock the top of the arch. The pressure of its own weight and the weight of the traffic held the bridge in place. It would have taken 5-6 men about four months to build.
The bridge over Hauskeana is about 14 metres long and provides a 2.5-meter wide carriageway. It was in use until 1985. In later years, the guardstones were replaced with a concrete kerb and steel railings. Now, however, it has regained its original appearance. It is one of several listed bridges in Rogaland.
Rural grinding mill
The grinding mill was used by the farms at Hauske to grind com. The original mill burnt down, but a replacement was built in 1916 and has since been restored. Adjacent to the mill, one of the farmsteads had a place for washing clothes.
Water troughs for horses
At various places along the route, there used to be water troughs. The trough at this picnic area used to be beside a stream further down towards Hjelmeland.
On the other side of the river you can see an old Hill fort. This can be reached by crosslng the bridge and following the path up to Kvednhushaugen.
Source: Information board on site